Website Update

After playing around with a few options, I decided to update my website. Instead using a CMS for a site as simple as this, I now switched to the static site generator hugo, which means I no longer have to worry about updating the backend constantly. And things should load a little faster now, too!

Silent Boot 2.0 released

It’s been a while since the last update for Silent Boot. Mainly because it was doing what it was supposed to (on some phones at least). But instead of getting rid of startup sounds more and more manufacturers and carriers decided it’s a good idea to add a sound for the shutdown animation as well. That’s why I decided to try something new that might get rid of this sound as well.

Comment Issues

Looks like my website hasn’t been working as flawlessly as I thought. I recently stumbled upon some blog comments that I haven’t noticed before. Every time a new comment is posted, the system should send out an email notifying me about this. Well… it didn’t. Sorry about this if you were waiting for a reply all the time. I now fixed the issue and will get back to everyone as soon as possible.

Testers Wanted!

More than two years after it’s initial release, I might have found a new way to rid even more phones of their startup sounds. I’m currently tweaking the workaround and trying out several alternative ways to silent the boot process (and maybe even the phone’s shutdown). The only problem is that I don’t have a phone handy that has problems with the original workaround or that actually has a shutdown melody.

GSoC 2012: Pencils down

After several busy months, the “pencils down” date three weeks ago marked the end of the coding phase and GSoC 2012 is slowly coming to an end. With this it was also time to wrap up my work on the Bluetooth Replayer and polish the bits of code I developed so far. The result is a patch series waiting for review on the Linux Bluetooth mailing list complete with a working btreplay tool and documentation.

GSoC 2012: Code away!

Today the Google Summer of Code 2012 officially kicked off and with that also my work on the Bluez project. After a few weeks of “community bonding” (which for me mostly was about fighting my way through Bluetooth specs), I finally wrote my first lines of code for the “Bluetooth Replayer”. I have attached my initial proposal to this post to give everyone a better idea what my project is all about.

Installing a USB Bluetooth dongle on a Beagleboard xM running Android ICS

Some Android ready devices do not ship with any wireless modules on board. The easiest way to upgrade them for Bluetooth or WiFi connectivity are USB dongles. I tried myself using a Beagleboard xM (runnign Android ICS) and a Bluetooth USB dongle with a Broadcom BCM2045 chip. Unfortunately it is not just a matter of plug and play, especially not on the kernel that ships with the rowboat Android port. Preparing the source Board configuration We need to modify the board configuration in /device/ti/beagleboard/BoardConfig.mk and set: BOARD_HAVE_BLUETOOTH := true so the Android build system includes all Bluetooth components.

Android Gingerbread Touchscreen Calibration

Android 2.3 relies on driver side input calibration and does not offer any calibration tools on its own, which can be a problem when using generic drivers or several devices with the same driver. This guide shows how to add a common 5 point touch input calibration to the Android system. Obtaining and validating calibration values The first step is to acquire the calibration values. tslib comes with a variety of useful tools to find and test calibration parameters.

DisplayLink on an Android powered Beagleboard xM

For one of my university projects I was working on a Beagleboard and managed to install an Android system that runs on a USB DisplayLink touchscreen. The setup was a Lilliput UM-80/C/T DisplayLink screen connected to a Beagleboard xM running the TI Android DevKit 2.1 build. Installing a pre-built image Starting point is a clean pre-built image. It allows us to check that our hardware is set up correctly and, more importantly, provides the full Android filesystem and a configured boot loader.

I did it!

After several years and countless attempts I finally managed to finish my own website! As fancy as this might sound, there is not much content yet. At the moment I basically set it up for my personal blog (which is meant for friends and family). But no worries, I will be adding a lot more stuff soon - especially on the projects page. I still have material for Silent Boot waiting and I am in the middle of a new Android related work.